08:45 AMDubai, UAE
I keynoted The New Media Event, billed as the first social media conference in the Middle East.
I stayed on for four days for a bit of R&R with my husband. It was fascinating to peer through Dubai's lens of newest / biggest / best. But even in Dubai, the economy is clearly slowing. The hotels, bars and restaurants were surprisingly empty. Layoffs and slow-downs on some of the biggest building projects are in the news.
It was such a pleasure having you as a speaker. Your presentation was amazing and I truly enjoyed it!
- Kosta Petrov, Conference Director
Below is a modified version of my keynote. It was mostly images so I added a few text notes to the slides before uploading.
Here are a few pics.
I keynoted this first-ever social media conference in the Middle East. Interesting that "Rapidly Changing Economy" (in the description below) was written long before the current economic crisis. The conference was held at the JW Marriott in Dubai. More info here.
Agenda for Day 1 - Sunday Dec. 14. 2008
The Power Of Blogging And Social Media In Today’s Rapidly Changing Economy
• Beyond marketing and PR, this is a revolution in how you do business
• Adopting the new mindset to beat your competitors
• Think small to win big
The Corporate Blogging Book
|09.30||Exclusive Q&A Session
Sharing The Points Of View On Social Media
• Change of interaction in a social media world
• New media: how are we exploring the net?
• The future of new media in Asia
Elizabeth And Elizabeth: The Golden Age
|10.15||Networking And Refreshment Break|
|10.45||Print Vs New Media: The End Of Media As We Know It
• Understanding how much of your sources should be put online
• Integrating traditional and new media to give your messages
Head Of Digital Media
|11.15||New Media In The Middle East: Are We There Yet?
• The history of new media in the region
• New media developments in the region
• What does the future hold for new media in the region?
Head Of New Media
|12.00||Lunch For Delegates And Speakers|
|13.00||Special Dubai Drums Interactive Session|
|13.30||The Power Of Social Media In Today’s Competitive Markets
• What is the actual power of social media?
• How is social media changing today’s world?
• Using the power of social media
Mohamed El Fatatry
|14.00||Social Networking And Web 2.0: What Is Their Value To Your Company?
• Using MySpace, Youtube and Facebook
• Learning about your Web 2.0 audience
• Monitoring the impact of Web 2.0 on your corporate reputation
Head Of Social Media
|14.45||Networking And Refreshment Break|
|15.15||Working Effectively At “Netspeed”: The New Age Of PR And Communications
• Avoid “death” by a thousand “web cuts”
• Meet the corporate challenge to communicate internally and
externally in a new media world
• The value of integrity, brand and talent in a world of Facebook,
Drudge and Second Life
Director Corporate Communications EMEA,
Global Consumer Group, Citi Group
|15.45||Achieving Effective Inter-Departmental Working As New Media Blurs The Divide Between Marketing, Advertising And PR
• When it comes to new media: what are the boundaries?
• Working closely with marketing and advertising to create consistent
messaging in the new media world
Former Global VP, Music And Content
|16.15||Online Communities: Why Should You Care?
• Understanding marketplace as a conversation in which you need
to take part
• Recognising online communities as a vital part of being part of the
• Identifying online communities that are in your conversation and
becoming an active part of them
• Presenting EmiratesMac.com as a case of an online community
that has affected the conversation in the marketplace
|17.15||Chairman’s Closing Remarks|
|17.30||End Of Day One|