S5-EP9: Debbie & Julie-Roxane on Different Styles of Decision-Making and Why It Matters
Debbie and her producer and friend Julie-Roxane discuss decision-making styles whether you’re planning ahead in your youth or in old age.
Today, Debbie brings her producer and friend Julie-Roxane back on the podcast to talk about decision-making.
When you plan ahead 10, 15 or 20 years how do you make the right decisions knowing the future is always uncertain?
Julie-Roxane, 30, and Debbie, 71, discuss the challenges of decision-making, whether it’s deciding to have children or planning for old age.
They talk about the concept of maximiser vs. satisficer, two different approaches to decision-making. (Can you guess which is more effective?) They end by reversing roles and giving each other advice about big upcoming decisions.
Tune in for a rich intergenerational conversation.
Mentioned in this episode or useful:
- Successfully Navigating Your Parents’ Senior Years: Critical Information to Maximize Their Independence and Make Sure They Get the Care They Need by Star Bradbury (BenBella Books, March 21, 2023)
- A Guide to Dealing with Uncertainty About What Path to Take by Leo Babauta
- Maximisers vs. Satisfyers: Who Makes Better Decisions? (PsychologistWorld.com)
- The Advantage of Fewer Choices by Debbie Weil for the Gap Year After Sixty blog
Previous episodes with Debbie and Julie-Roxane:
- S4-EP14: Debbie and Julie-Roxane on Messy Conversations About Old Age and Dying
- S4-EP5: Debbie and Julie-Roxane Dissect How Reinventing Your Life Really Works
- S2-EP14: Julie-Roxane and Alasdair on Living the Dream
Get the inside skinny on every episode of [B]OLDER:
Subscribe to Debbie’s newsletter for the inside story about every episode. You will also get her 34-page writing guide: https://bitly.com/debbie-free-guide.
Request from Debbie:
If you’ve been enjoying the podcast, please take a moment to leave a short review on Apple Podcasts. It really makes a difference in attracting new listeners.
Connect with Debbie:
- [B]OLDER podcast
- Email: [email protected]
- Blog: Gap Year After Sixty
- Facebook: @debbieweil
- Instagram: @debbieweil
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/debbieweil
- Twitter: @debbieweil
Our Media Partners:
- CoGenerate (formerly Encore.org)
- MEA and with thanks to Chip Conley
- Formerly, Next For Me (in memory of Jeff Tidwell)
Thanks to our media partners
Encore.org, our newest media partner, is an ideas and innovation hub tapping the talent of those 50+ as a force for good. Founder and CEO Marc Freedman is an award-winning social entrepreneur and author, most recently, of How to Live Forever: The Enduring Power of Connecting the Generations. Looking for a great gap-year transition program? Check out Encore Fellowships, which match skilled, seasoned professionals with social-sector organizations in high-impact, paid assignments.
Modern Elder Academy is a program dedicated to navigating mid-life transitions. MEA, based in Baja California, Mexico, provides the place and the tools to start reframing your lifetime of experience. Grow whole, not old. Founder Chip Conley is a New York Times bestselling author, award-winning hospitality entrepreneur and a rock star of the mid-life transition movement. His newest book is Wisdom @ Work: the Making of a Modern Elder.
Next For Me is an important new resource for the 50+ crowd focused on rewriting life. Taking a gap year or timeout may be the best way to figure out "what's next" when you're in this stage of life. Founder Jeff Tidwell explains, Next For Me "connects and inspires our generation to evolve our post-50 lives through new work, a new purpose, or a new social contribution."