S4-EP21: Debbie & Sam Wrap Up Season 4: What’s Next, Medical Aid in Dying, and Traveling With Grandchildren
Debbie invites her husband Sam back on the show to review Season 4 and to reflect on topics in the news such as Medical Aid in Dying and the 100-year life.
Sam shares some of his favorite episodes (see below) and they discuss several topics in the news: Medical Aid In Dying and the 100-year life. If you’ve listened to Sam in previous episodes, you can probably guess what he thinks about living to 100.
Sam is a retired physician; friends and family affectionately call him Dr. Death.
They also talk about grandparenting and what you can expect from Season 5.
Sam’s favorite episodes from Season 4
- [B]OLDER S4-EP13: Yale Prof. and Bestselling Author Nicholas Christakis With a 2022 COVID Update
- [B]OLDER S4-EP2: Poet and Teacher Emily Moore on Becoming a Cancer Survivor at age 43
- [B]OLDER S4-EP16: Bestselling Author Dan Pink on the Power of Regret at any Age
- [B]OLDER S4-EP17: Dr. Bree Johnston on Psychedelic Therapy to Ease Fear of Death
Mentioned in this episode:
- S4-EP19: Paula Span on Ageism, Journalism, and the Art of Grandparenting
- Apollo’s Arrow: The Profound and Enduring Impact of Coronavirus on the Way We Live by Nicholas A. Christakis MD PhD (Little, Brown Spark; 2021)
- At Peace: Choosing a Good Death After a Long Life by Samuel Harrington MD (Grand Central Life & Style; 2018)
- Breaking the Age Code: How Your Beliefs About Aging Determine How Long and Well You Live by Becca Levy PhD (William Morrow; 2022)
- Betty White Reveals Her Secrets to a Long, Happy Life (People Magazine, December 28, 2021)
- Podcast – The 100 Year Lifestyle
Previous episodes featuring host Debbie Weil and her husband Sam Harrington:
- S4-EP6: Debbie & Sam on Entering the Land of the Old
- S3-EP22: Debbie & Sam on Getting Calm and Centered in Baja
- S3-EP16: Debbie & Sam on Fasting For Five Days and Why They Were Crazy Enough to Do It
- S2-EP24: Debbie & Sam on the Gap Year For Everyone, Silver Linings, and Not Should’ing
- S2-EP18: Debbie & Sam on the New Normal, Quarantines, Immunity Passports, and Masks & Gloves
- S2-EP12: Debbie & Sam on the Coronavirus, Magical Thinking, and Aging
- S1-EP10: On Debbie & Sam’s Bucket List: Living in France
- S1-EP2: Debbie & Sam on How They Decided to Take a Gap Year at Age 62
Note from Debbie
If you’ve been enjoying the podcast, please consider leaving a short review on Apple Podcasts. It takes less than two minutes and it really makes a difference. It makes me feel loved and it also attracts new listeners.
Subscribe to my newsletter and get my free writing guide: https://bitly.com/debbie-free-guide.
Thanks to our media partners
Encore.org, our newest media partner, is an ideas and innovation hub tapping the talent of those 50+ as a force for good. Founder and CEO Marc Freedman is an award-winning social entrepreneur and author, most recently, of How to Live Forever: The Enduring Power of Connecting the Generations. Looking for a great gap-year transition program? Check out Encore Fellowships, which match skilled, seasoned professionals with social-sector organizations in high-impact, paid assignments.
Modern Elder Academy is a program dedicated to navigating mid-life transitions. MEA, based in Baja California, Mexico, provides the place and the tools to start reframing your lifetime of experience. Grow whole, not old. Founder Chip Conley is a New York Times bestselling author, award-winning hospitality entrepreneur and a rock star of the mid-life transition movement. His newest book is Wisdom @ Work: the Making of a Modern Elder.
Next For Me is an important new resource for the 50+ crowd focused on rewriting life. Taking a gap year or timeout may be the best way to figure out "what's next" when you're in this stage of life. Founder Jeff Tidwell explains, Next For Me "connects and inspires our generation to evolve our post-50 lives through new work, a new purpose, or a new social contribution."